Let me get this right out front, I’m not a SEO expert and like you, I just read almost daily about SEO news/updates and lurk around on marketing and SEO blogs. I tend to experiment in the SEO world with my view on settings and marketing tactic’s. With that being said, I’m going to try to walk you through setting up the Yoast SEO WordPress plugin. Now the developer of this plugin does have information on his site to help you set things up with his advice but I didn’t take his advice and just set things up the way I wanted them.
All it takes is the choosing the right settings with this plugin and you putting up original content on your blog to get the blog posts indexed. Don’t forget to actually market your blog besides just updating it with content. This SEO plugin will help make things easier to rank better but you still need to obtain quality backlinks.
Titles & Metas: (General Tab)
- Force rewrite titles – Checkmark this
- Sitewide meta settings:
- Noindex subpages of archives – Checkmark This
- Use meta keywords tag – Checkmark this
- Add noodp meta robots tag sitewide – CheckMark This
- Add noydir meta robots tag sitewide – Checkmark This
- Leave all Unchecked
Clean up the head:
Titles & Metas: (Home Tab)
- Fill in your own information and do not keyword stuff the title and description
Titles & Metas: (Post Types Tab)
- Posts: Title template – %%title%% an Meta description template: – %%excerpt%%. For meta keywords template add the following: %%focuskw%%, %%tag%%, %%category%% add a comma and space after each word.
- Pages: Title template – %%title%% – %%sitename%% an Meta description template: – %%excerpt%%. Meta Keywords Template: %%focuskw%%, %%tag%% add comma and space after word.
- Media: Title Template – %%title%% – %%sitename%% an Meta description: – %%caption%%-%%title%%-. Meta Keywords Template: %%focuskw%%, %%tag%% add comma and space after word. Meta Robots – select noindex, follow
Titles & Metas: (Taxonomies Tab)
Fill In Your Own Information. What Is Taxonomies?
The only thing I changed was the Category setting. My settings for this is title template: %%term_title%%-%%sitename%% and meta description template %%category_description%% Also I have %%term_title%% added to the meta keywords template. The noindex/follow setting has a check mark. Other features below I left all blank.
Titles & Metas: (Other Tab)
- Fill In Your Own Information – I only disabled the date-based archives. What you do here is up to you, I won’t make suggestions.
- Strip the category base from the category URL – Leave unchecked. I had to do this because of how my theme was coded
- Enforce a trailing slash on all category and tag URL’s – CheckMark This
- Redirect attachment URL’s to parent post URL – CheckMark This
- Remove the ?replytocom variables – Uncheck This
- Redirect ugly URL’s to clean permalinks – Uncheck This (Trust me on this setting)
- Canonical Settings:
Force Transport - Select Force HTTP
That’s the end of that section. Next one to edit.
Content of your RSS Feed:
- Content to put before each post in the feed – Put this in the box: %%AUTHORLINK%%
- Content to put after each post – Put this in the box: %%BLOGDESCLINK%%
I left out a few sections in this blog post but that doesn’t mean that they not important options to checkout. They just wasn’t that important enough for me to comment on. Like I said earlier in this blog post, I’m not a SEO expert but over the years have learned a few things and setup this blog the way I wanted it setup. Pretty much you will have the same Yoast SEO settings as me. (Minus a few things I didn’t mention).
If you do make any changes to this plugin, remember to login to Google Webmaster Tools and resubmit your sitemap. You should also write a fresh blog post because you want the search engine bots to come back to start reindexing content as you just make some SEO changes or the first time any SEO plugin was enabled on the blog. Might take a few weeks to reindex all the content but these settings haven’t messed up my blog at all. If you need support with this plugin contact the creator as I’m not a programmer and not able to edit the plugin but just post my opinion on settings.
To Your Success